Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

CEREMONIAL START

Iditarod 2014 with Iditarider, Nicolina 




Iditarod 2012 with Iditarider, Teresa Cooper


I have always enjoyed the Ceremonial Start.  I fondly reflect back to when I was training for Iditarod 2012.  I received a notice that Teresa Cooper had sponsored my dog "Red".  She was from North Carolina and I had no idea who she was or how she heard of my dream.

I sent her an email thanking her for sponsoring Red and I asked how she heard of my dream.  She told me that each year she goes on the Iditarod website and chooses a musher to sponsor.   I was honored that she chose me.   A short time later, I received an email from her saying that she really enjoys reading my blog...that her co-workers and her start their day off reading my blog.   Again, I was honored.  And I knew that my blog was being read !

And then came another email...Terri was bidding on my sled for the Ceremonial Start.  She won the bid and was my Iditarider.  To this day we have a very special bond.   We shared in each other's dream...and there is really something special about your rookie year (at least for me).

As my training continued, so did the emails.   I received a Christmas care package with all kinds of goodies.  When you are in the thick of training a care package is so appreciated.  I cherish the knit scarf and sweater that she made me.

Terri has been a sponsor of Red now for 3 Iditarods.  She also told me that she and her husband John would be there for Iditarod 2014.  I was thrilled and excited to reunite with her and to meet John.

Iditarod 2014...A huge thank you to Terri for taking on the bidding process for my daughter, Nicolina, to be my 2014 Iditarider.  This was to be a very special mother/daughter experience.  It was a nerve wracking experience for Terri, as there was someone out there out bidding her left and right.  They finally dropped out of the bidding when the sled reached one thousand eight hundred dollars.  Ouch !   I am so glad that they weren't determined to win the bid...because we were.

Now the logistics to get my daughter here from Vienna were in full swing.  She arrived in Anchorage Wednesday evening, the 26th of February and her Iditarod experience was soon to begin.

2014 CEREMONIAL START

A journey to be shared




Nicolina tossing booties to 
the kids along the trail.

20 comments:

  1. These pics are sooo cool, Looks like a fun day! Wish you the Best in your Adventure tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janis, We are here at BINGO and eating chocolate. We miss you already and wish you the best for the Iditarod. I hope that you will finish fast and come visit.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Dad. I am glad that you are there with Kathy playing bingo...and winning chocolates!

      Delete
  3. Watched you take off at the ceremonial start. I am now waiting to watch you restart in Willow. Have a safe journey and many blessings along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ronda. It was wonderful being embraced by so many people who are sending love and wishes for a safe journey and prayers.

      Delete
  4. I am rooting for you! Good Luck!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Lucas joss and I am a 4th grade boy at West Woodland in Seattle. I'm watching you and rooting for you. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucas. I am hoping that you have a great time following the Iditarod. Thank you for rooting for me. Jan

      Delete
  6. Aw Jan, I just read that you scratched. I am so sorry, you are such an inspiration for all. I hope you the trail didn't cause too much damage. Hugs from Iowa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheryl, I am working on a post describing my journey...thank you for your kind words. I am fine. I had an injured dog and was not about to carry him in my sled down through the Gorge. So, my direction was clear...it was back to Rainy Pass.

      Delete
  7. Dear Jan,
    We're so sad to hear about you having to scratch. We know after all your hard work and training, that scratching was certainly not part of your plan. We're looking forward to hearing about your experience on the trail and hope you are okay. We've read lots of horrible stories about the trail conditions. You've had to scratch with some of the most experienced mushers: Dee Dee, Linwood. We are amazed by you!

    Sending hugs and best wishes!

    From all of us at Cherry Valley:
    Joey, Enrique, Tyler, Michael, Nicky, Sullivan, Nikoli, Connor, Moses, Paris, Samuel and Mrs. E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello to all of you at Cherry Valley! Hugs are good ! : )
      My journey ended early. I had an injured dog and made the decision to wait for help to get her back to Rainy Pass comfortably. He is doing well, and has been a star patient. He captured the hearts of everyone at Rainy Pass. I will be posting updates from the trail. I hope that you all have fun following the Iditarod. Wish you were following me all the way to Nome.

      Delete
  8. Jan, I am so sorry you had to scratch. I hope you and your team are all ok! I know it's rough out there and I think you are just amazing! Better luck next time, hugs to you and your pups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lezlie, All the dogs are doing great and Chip will have a good recovery. He is enjoying being a house dog and however, he often looks out to the kennel and seems to miss the guys.

      Delete
  9. Jan - We think you are amazing! We've been reading about the crazy trail conditions and we know that you must have faced some really tough things out there. We are proud of you and you're still our favorite local musher!

    Mrs. Peterson's Class at Meridian Park

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah, the short time on the trail was really great. It ended with one of my dogs with an injury. There was no way that I was going to attempt going into the Gorge with Chip in the sled bag. That would not be right or safe.

      Delete
  10. A daunting decision by a remarkable woman. Always our heroine. Rest up. Along with so many followers, we’ll look forward to read about your amazing journey. Love, Cec and the Mama

    ReplyDelete