Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

FOOD PREP TIME FOR IDITAROD DROP BAGS

FOOD ON THE TRAIL...

All of my food for the trail has to be prepared ahead of time.  It needs to be fully cooked and then Food Saver sealed.  When I get into a check point, one of the first things I do is to start up my cooker.   I will begin melting snow and bringing the water to a boil.   After I get water and it is starting to heat up, I will toss into my cooker, my food pouches.  When the water comes to a boil, my meals will be ready to eat.   I also toss into the cooker my juices and water bottles to thaw out.  
I carry a small insulated lunch box in my sled.   I put my drinks and whatever I don't want to get frozen into it.   I will add a couple of hand warmers to it.  What ever is in my lunch box should make it to the next check point without freezing.  
  
French toast ready to get slathered in peanut butter, syrup,butter and maybe bananas !

French toast meals ready to heat and eat!

Freezing orange sections individually on a tray...

I often just eat the oranges straight from the bag frozen...JUICY !

Steel Cut Oatmeal with lots of fruits and nuts

Morning Star Breakfast Sausages--YUM!

Fruit Smoothies that pack a PUNCH!

Made from blueberries, raspberries, pineapple, mango, strawberries, banana,
chia seeds, chard, kale, and spinach !   Yes, they are purple in color and have
lots of greens it !  Surprise, surprise.  And they are delicious!

The finished product.  Fruit smoothies.

This year I am sending out some packaged food that is fully cooked and you just boil in the bag.  Last year I got terribly sick on the trail and I am hoping that this will reduce the chances of that.  These meals don't have to be refrigerated.  And...they are YUMMY !


3 comments:

  1. It is sure a labor of love to be able race the dogs. I use my seal a meal a bunch also. Sure makes things simple when you are out. When everything is said and done you should write a book on shortcuts to being a sled dog racer. Maybe a good title. Everything you wanted to know about dog sledding but were afraid to ask. Ha Ha BTW forgot to tell you that Kuma passed away on new years day of bloat. Was hoping to see her make 18 years but it was not meant to be. Vet said they were amazed she was still walking as her back was riddled with arthritis. Jeff, Kamik and Tikaani

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your loss Jeff. You sure have been a wonderful dad to your fur-kids. As always, it is great to hear from you. I catch you on facebook and miss you guys.

    Preparing for Iditarod is for sure labor intensive...not to mention expensive. I definitely try and do everything that saves steps, time and money. There is never enough time. : ) You never know...a book would be fun. I love the public speaking and school visits...sharing my passion, my love for the sled dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing all that you do. It is very interesting. Looks like you eat well on the trail. Good luck on the Iditarod. Karen B. Camano Island

    ReplyDelete