Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

MOOSE NEAR THE TRAIL...



We were debating running today, worried a bit about the trail conditions with rain last night.  I gathered up my 10 dogs to take out on the trail.  All were booted and we were ready to go.  Sled was loaded with salmon snacks and spare headlamp and an extra jacket in case I got cold.  We took off for the other side of the highway.  The run started with a bit of freezing rain.  Ugh.  Then it turned to itty bitty snow flakes.   Yeah!  Well, I guess you really couldn't call is snowing, but I was hoping that it would pick up a bit.

Passed two teams head on and had good passes.  Dogs just cruised right on by.  Further out on the trail we had what I call a "Train Pass"...three teams traveling right behind each other.   For them, they each just experience one dog team to pass, but for my team, it is three, one right after the next.  Basically passing 30 dogs and 3 sleds with literally no time between passes.  On the last pass, I had to go way off the trail to avoid the other team and I ended up flipped in the snow.  All was fine and I just uprighted my sled and away we went.  I glanced behind me and saw the other musher with a dumped sled.

On our return to the power line, my dogs suddenly put it into high gear, accelerating as if they were on a race track.  I glanced off to the side and sure enough, there it was.  You guessed it.  A moose, just off the trail.  I am not sure if we scared it off the trail or if it had been just munching away along side the trail.   My first moose sighting was right in this spot, but they were much farther away.  A far away moose is a happier sight than an up close moose.

Made it back to the kennel safely and snacked the dogs.  Spent extra time with the entire team this evening.  Just talking and giving massages.  I will sit on top of a house or in between two runs and have two dogs loving on me and getting my undivided attention.  They are so very special, my dogs.



Hey Bronn Journey, if you are reading this post, I am enjoying listening to your music while I am on the trail with my dogs.  I have a mix of Praise, Country and Oldies and Bronn Journey on my shuffle.  My speakers are built into the ear flaps of my red hat.  www.bronnjourney.com

No comments:

Post a Comment