I am have having a GREAT time on the trail again....this time the checkpoints are elementary schools and retirement communities. I have really enjoyed having the opportunity to bring to life for the kids, their study of the "LAST GREAT RACE".
Just yesterday I visited with 60 second graders. I was so impressed with all that they had learned. When I showed a slide of White Mountain there were 4 or 5 kids who knew that the next checkpoint was "Safety". They also knew that Nome was next and the final destination.
Today I had the opportunity to speak at a luncheon with the Sno King School Retirees. Mr Elvrum, my former Jr High Principal was there. I was amazed that he remembered me. He remembered that I went to Interlochen National Music Camp when I was in the 9th grade. Wow !
Birdie, the sled dog has been absolutely wonderful on all of our visits. She even stole the show for the adults.
I will be picking up Bob at the airport tomorrow. He won't get much rest as we head our for Yelm in the early morning on Thursday. We will be giving two school assemblies. It will be exciting to meet Mrs. Johnson's class. They followed the race and have sent me cards and letters. Birdie will be the star attraction again.
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment