Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

MY DOG TEAM....TRULY, MY TEAM

Sweet Amber-Iditarod 2012

Well, I have been running a core group of dogs since 2009/10.   They have belonged to Ted English, but have belonged to me in my heart.  These are dogs who were with me on the 2011 Serum Run and were also on my team for Iditarod 2012...all the way to Nome!   Today I just bought my dogs from Ted and now they are mine through and through. 


Pictured above is Chad.  Chad has always been "Mr. Charisma"  He is really quite full of himself.  A very happy dog and always a hard worker.  He runs in wheel or in front of wheel.   Chad is a 2012 Iditarod Finisher and ran on my 2013 Iditarod team.  Running with him is Otter, but you can't see him.

                                          

Otter and Chad are buddies and have run together for years.  They will often run in wheel or in front of wheel.  Otter occasionally will run in lead.  He is my "whoo whoo dog".  He will talk with me when I come out to the kennel.  It is almost like we can carry on a conversation.  He loves to roll in the snow. Otter made it to Nome on the 2011 Serum Run and was on the Iditarod 2013 team.

 Jimmy is a little fur ball and such a sweet heart. He has a very gentle disposition.  He came to Ted's kennel as a rescue and it has taken a few years for him to open up.  He loves to have his ears scratched.  He is still a bit shy, but a really hard worker.  I call him "Dancing Jimmy" when it is feeding time.  He is a really "easy keeper" which means that you can't feed him too much or he will easily put on too much weight.  When I go around with the feed bucket, Jimmy gets so excited and dances all over the place.    Jimmy really likes his buddy Nuggett.  Jimmy is a 2012 Iidtarod finisher and also ran on my 2013 Iditarod team.


                                     

"My What BIG Ears I Have"  Nugget is a gentle spirit.  He really likes Jimmy.  They are buddies.  When hooking up the team, I will go to Nugget and unhook him and then he will run over to Jimmy's dog house and I will unhook Jimmy.  The two of them will dance around together all the way to the tow line.  They will do the same going back to their houses.  Nugget runs in team and is an Iditarod finisher, running both the 2012 and 2013 Iditarods.


Red is also a hard working dog.  He runs in swing and occasionally has run in lead.  He is always ready to run and very alert.  Doesn't miss a thing.  He catches everyone's attention with his eyes.   He is an intense dog.  Red is an Iditarod 2012 Finisher.  


Magic is a very shy sweetheart.  She is a hard worker and loves to run in lead.  When not in lead, I usually have her in swing.  She gets along well with everyone.  Magic is a 2012 Iditarod finisher and also ran on my Iditarod 2013 team.


In wheel are Roan and Spot.  They are brothers and very happy and also hardworking.  They are so very affectionate that it is hard to get them harnessed and into the tow line.  Both Roan and Spot ran on my Iditarod 2013 team.  I am sure that they would have made it all the way to Nome if we had that opportunity.

                                         
TEAM PIC 2011 SERUM RUN
By Tim DeVries

                                       
In Nome with leads Tok and Jack
Forever in my heart--but Ted's dogs
Photo by Scott Chesney
   
 In Nome with leads Tok and Jack
Photo by Scott Chesney 



13 comments:

  1. Jan, I'm so excited for you! Your dogs are amazing and I wish I could meet and greet each one - in person!! I'm going to show your post to the kids tomorrow; I know they will be thrilled as well.

    I'm having surgery on Thursday (shoulder replacement - it's a long story). I will be out for some weeks, but it won't keep the kids from keeping track of you and looking forward to your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. I am excited too. You will be in my prayers. Be sure to let me know if there is ever anything that I can do. Take you to Walnut Street Coffee???

      Delete
  2. The photo of you and Amber is precious! All the dogs look happy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorites...she is a special dog. I have so many memories of Amber and my Mom and Dad. My Dad is so hoping that I will bring Amber home this spring.

      Delete
  3. wow, that is a beautiful thing! So glad you made the step to buy the dogs. These will always be your foundation. Priceless pictures.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. It for sure feels really good. When Ted left, I went out and sat with each dog and had a little talk. Told them the good news.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Jan! It seems like the adoption of the heart is now official. I am very happy for you!
    debi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, it is official. The heart is happy. See you soon!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on being an official dog owner! I am certain your heart is very full at the decision to make the dogs permanent members of your family. Those are some great photos and stories about the connection you have with each of the dogs. Looking forward to seeing you in WA and getting caught up on your plans for the future. - Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, well I was an official dog owner prior to this...my first dogs were Arnie and Tyson. Then I added Turbo. It just took longer to have these guys become permanent. I knew that this was the answer and I think that Ted did too. It is a wonderful and sure feels good.

      Delete
  6. And a huge thanks to Ted who trusted you with his doggies from the very beginning, and trusts you now to care for them and race them as your own. Hey team, it's official! Woo woo woooooo! This is something to celebrate!!!! CindyK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big time Cindy. You know, we never know where our paths will take us...Had Ted and Paula not hosted me when I came and volunteered for 2008 Iditarod, who know what I would be doing now. Who knew that I would be living with them and running their dogs the in 2009. They both played a HUGE roll in my dream.

      Delete
  7. Great news Jan. The pups would be lost without you. They are going to be very happy for many years to come. Jeff

    ReplyDelete