![]() |
photo from City of Edmonds website
|
When the Boston Marathon Bombings happened Monday, I couldn't bring myself to blog. I needed a break from TV, media, phones. I would sit down at my computer and just sit. My heart goes out to all those who had to experience such a horrible event. I pray for all those who lost loved ones and who were injured and those who are fighting for their lives. I pray for those who have to deal how to deal with what they saw before their eyes.
I have to tell my father to shut the TV off. There are so many wonderful people and beautiful things in life. I try not to let this overshadow that. My love of the outdoors is where I find solace...where I can re-energize. Thankfully I was able to join my hiking friends and meet new friends who have joined "the group". I needed to go to the forest...to the mountains. I needed to be surrounded by beauty...yes, even in the pouring down rain.
When I look back at the past 4 years, when I have returned to Washington, one of the first things that I do is to go on hikes with Cindy, Kirsten and Jeff. Thank you Cindy, Kirsten, and Jeff...my Malamute Rescue friends. When ever I go hiking or snowshoeing with them it is with dogs who have been rescued and have loving forever homes, and ones who these guys are fostering.
I am enjoying my special time with my father. Since he is no longer driving, I try and make sure that he gets out for breakfast each day. I will call and have him hang out in the evenings with me watching TV. Usually an uplifting movie. This evening I will pick him up along with Julius (one of my biggest fans). He has been to all of my presentations there at Crista and always hangs around to "Talk Alaska and Sled Dogs". So tonight, Julius will get his "Alaska Fix".
Aside from caring for my father, I am busy figuring out my schedule and figuring out when I will be able to have one of the dogs fly down. There is so much to coordinate. I am excited about all the school visits that I will be doing. It is so awesome to spend time with the kids who are so excited about all that they have learned about the Iditarod. Fun sharing with them my stories, all my gear and hopefully a real live sled dog.
For my fall visits I will have a sled to add to what I bring along on school visits. The wooden sled that I drove north 2 years ago is now going to be driven south by Becky Loveless, just for school visits. A HUGE thank you to Becky! Bob has been fixing it up so that is is "trail ready". My goal is to have "reading sleds" to place in classrooms who have room for them. One step at a time...


No comments:
Post a Comment