Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

IMPROMPTU SCHOOL VISIT...

Well, I got the opportunity to make another "Mini Visit".    I was on the phone this morning with Julie and within 2 hours I found myself driving across town to Duvall.   Last June I made a visit to her students and now here I was returning to welcome her new group of 4th and 5th graders into the world of learning about the Iditarod. 

When the kids came in I recognized Nathan from last year.  He had a BIG smile on his face and he even remembered and asked about Stovepipe.    Ava, one of the new kids shared with us that she had been to Alaska and actually got to go for a dog sled ride...in the sled bag.  You could tell by the smile on her face that it was a fabulous memory for her.    I got to meet Shane this year.  Last year he wasn't at my visit, as he had stopped coming after his musher scratched.   Shane, this year I hope that your musher makes it all the way to Nome.  Remember to not give up...if your musher scratches...just hop on the sled of another musher on their way to Nome.    In any event, I hope to see you this spring when I return.

This was a great group of kids and it was wonderful to see their enthusiasm about what was ahead of them.   They were full of questions and when I asked questions, arms were eagerly waving in the air.  It was fun getting to know these kids at the beginning of their Iditarod journey.  I am looking forward to my return visit this spring to see how much they have learned and to share with them my experience preparing for and my journey to Nome...Iditarod 2013.

Perhaps we will have to Dress Mrs E. up as a musher when I return this Spring !

So sorry kids that I don't have a picture to post.   I was out the door so fast that I didn't think of a camera until I was on the road driving and your teacher left home this morning not knowing that we would be setting up this visit.   Thanks for a wonderful class visit for me.  You were all Awesome!  Happy Reading !

4 comments:

  1. Jan, we had a wonderful time hearing about your Iditarod adventure of 2012!

    Brennan said, "Her visit was the best thing ever!"
    Nathan said,"Stovepipe rocks!"
    Samantha said, "It was awesome!"
    Dafne said,"It was the best time and it was wonderful! It felt like I was in the snow."
    Gracie said, "It rocked! Tok is wonderful!"
    Ikaika said, "Red and Tok are awesome!"

    They all loved the picture of the puppies. They said they learned a lot. And they are looking forward to our study of the Iditarod.

    Thank you Jan, SO much for coming. We ALL appreciated it! The smiles and enthusiasm are still on their faces today.

    Happy Trails and have a safe journey,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A different group of fourth graders that attended that day want to add:

      Moses said, "She was fun! I liked the picture of your dogs."
      Ava said, "Your visit was a nice surprise! I do love to dogsled."

      Jevon said, "This sounds like a hard race!"

      Thanks again for coming Jan. We'll be excited to see you next spring!

      Julie

      Delete
    2. We will have a GREAT visit this spring. Also let's set up a couple of phone calls between now and then. Jan

      Delete
  2. PS...It is great hearing from the kids! Jan

    ReplyDelete