We will have power to the house and kennel in a couple of weeks ! I remember when my brother made the comment...living off grid sounds romantic. I had to chuckle. Romantic is shutting the lights off and lighting candles. Romantic is NOT getting up at 5:30 am and dragging the generator out the door through a foot of new snow or in temps of - 34.
Preparing and training for last year's Iditarod without power was doable, but I am already thinking of all of the perks of electricity. It will really make a BIG difference for us.
The generator will be used for backup. This winter it will be housed in it's own little generator house. No more hauling it in and out of the back room. (That was such a pain!) There were a few times that we somehow would forget to put it back in the back room and when returning from a run we would have to put it in the house to warm it up so that we could then take it back outside and start it up.
My eyes will be so happy having lights and being able to see at night. Being "old eyes", they don't see as well in low light.
We will be selling our wonderful Crystal Cold Propane Refrigerator. It sure was a lifesaver for us. Now we can have regular refrigerator and freezer. Our chest freezer outside will be a working freezer...and we will be able to add a few more. We will have a happy truck and Subaru Forester...they will be "Plugged In" this winter. No more waking up 2 times a night to start up the truck! Sleep !
Just think...flicking a light switch and having lights all the time...not just when the generator is running. Turning on a faucet and having running water will be nice. That will ease up feeding/watering dogs, and daily life for us.
I just keep thinking of how much easier training will be this year. Living off grid isn't so bad, but when you add training for Iditarod and the demands that has on you, it really is a big deal. It will actually be a real time saver for us. I am excited to see how it will positively effect our life.
Think that when I head home I will pack some Christmas lights and a few extension cords!
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment