Had a 50 mile run from Ruby to Galena...coming up off of the river and up a hill, my lead dogs were hit by a truck. I can't even find words to explain what I was about to experience. I was coming up a hill and there were no warning signs that there was a road crossing and there were no warning signs for the traffic on the main drag in Galena to warn of dog teams crossing. When I saw a truck I knew that my front end was on a road. My sled was down below on the hill and there was no braking. I found myself screaming frantically and heard the most awful sound of an impact. With the help of a vehicle full of fish and wildlife workers, they rushed to my sled and stood on the brake and I ran to my leaders, Tok and Jack. I was sobbing and holding them and hugging them. I looked into their eyes and was amazed that they were looking back into my eyes and they had the look of "we are ok mom..." I just cried and held them and in my panic didn't want to move them, all the while looking around and seeing no blood. Someone drove to the community center where our coordinator was. About that time, 2 of our snowmachiners came up the hill and I screamed at them that my dogs had been hit. Patty, a physician came and checked out the dogs and told me that nothing was broken and that they seemed fine. She said that the vets would have to check for internal injuries.
It is a miracle that my team is safe and that my leads are alive. They are eating well, showing no signs of injuries. I have walked them on a leash and they break into a run. I am truly amazed. The dogs seemed to recover far quicker than I. I was a wreck.
I was dreading the call to Ted to tell him of the accident. These dogs are his children. I am entrusted with their care and there isn't anything that I wouldn't do for these guys. I cried when I talked with Ted and told him that I had played back in my mind over and over and over searching for something that I could have done differently. I was so grateful for him to remind me that I was driving his dogs because he knew that I loved those dogs and would take care of them. He has told me many times that no one has ever driven his dogs.
The morning following the arrival in Galena, I found myself walking around, counting my blessings...
Friday, March 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, what a miracle!! Jan, I can't think of anything you could have possibly done differently. No signs, no way you could have known there was a road there. Thank God your dogs are doing great!! What a beautiful story . . . the way they look in your eyes and told you they are OK! -- Jamen
ReplyDeleteJamen, it was so very hard to wrap my head around that they could be ok...I love these dogs...
ReplyDelete