Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

THURSDAY...BACK IN MY SWAMP

Well, we got about 3 - 4 inches of new snow and it was beautiful as always.

Ted and I went out for breakfast and then Ted went on a run to town. He picked up 2 bales of straw and I purchased 12 bags of dog food, and 150 pounds of beef. I also had him pick up more toe and feet warmers for me.

After he left, I hooked up a team of 8 dogs and we took off. The trails were not groomed so the dogs had to break trail. It is a bit more work for them.

There was only one other set of tracks out there on the whole run...most of which we were leaving the first set of tracks. I never saw a team out there anywhere. We ended up doing a shorter than normal run...about 25 miles rather than the 38 mile run. I stopped a few times to let the dogs rest and roll in the snow. I didn't have to bootie the dogs so that was nice. The dogs had a great time rolling in the fresh soft snow. Otter and Amber seemed to roll for the whole team. Tok and Roan got into it a bit. Chad just stood there and barked. What a team !

Well, we got back to the house and I cut up 100 pounds of the beef. When I went to feed the dogs, they had fun licking off all the meat dust that was stuck to me. After the dogs were fed and quiet, I spent quite a bit of time with them...going to each dog individually and talking with them and scratching them behind the ears and neck. They love the one on one attention...at least most of them. There are a couple who just seem to tolerate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment