Well, today the plan was to run 2 teams. I have some dogs that I need to work up miles on and I have my "athletes". I was going run a 12 mile run and also a 38 mile run. I was also going to take out my new "Broncos Sled" lol...it is the beautiful finishing sled that Ted used to finish the Iditarod. He had a sled bag made for it and it is bright orange and blue. I decided that I would do the short run first with the new sled...and then if for some reason I didn't like it I could take out my training sled on the long run.
It was 20 below out and I was all bundled up. I put booties on the dogs to protect their feet and away we went. The trail was hard and fast. I kept on the drag trying to keep their speed down. Right off the bat my hands were hurting...the finger tips. They were so cold. I quickly dug for a hand warmer...exposing one hand even more to the cold and put them into my over mitts. I was cold all over and I didn't like the sled. So glad that this was my short run.
Well, I couldn't get the team home fast enough for me ! When we got back I quickly snacked them and then I went into the house to warm up a bit. Then I went back out. I took off booties and about that time Ted came by in the truck. He told me to hop in and come into the house...that he had lunch for us. LOL...today he bought us each a salad...that was a first...and I wanted soup !
We talked about my run. He told me that at first he didn't like that sled either, but then he loved it. He also told me that I didn't eat enough breakfast and that was why I was cold. I have been out on runs in the - 20's and never been this cold. Well, I then went and put the dogs back to their houses and put away the harnesses and dried out the booties. I decided to wimp out and not take out my next team. Instead I washed all of our work gloves and hung them to dry and also all of my fleece neck warmers and liner gloves and my work jacket.
Turns out that I frost nipped my fingers and they are still sore a day later.
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment