Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

THE DON BOWERS MEMORIAL RACE--SECOND TIME AROUND !


Don Bowers Memorial

200/300 Sleddog Race

200/300 Miles through the Mat–Su Valley. www.donbowersmemorialrace.org

Well, I have been getting ready for the Don Bowers Memorial Race. As many of you know last year I made it 100 miles. I plan on finishing this year ! The goal is the 300 miles, however, it looks as if it will be a 200 mile race. Actually, I am just fine with that. I rather like the idea of being in a larger field of mushers...middle of the pack suits me just fine ! With only 4 on the 300, there just aren't a whole lot of teams to see out there. (And the thought of being 4th just isn't a pleasant thought...I like knowing that someone is behind me !)

There is a lot of preparation that goes into the race. I am still not sure if I am running the 200 or 300. The 300 mile race will be dropped if there are not at least 4 teams running it. As of right now there are just 3 teams signed up...as two have dropped out. I have one less drop bag to prepare if I am running the 200. Yippee!

Yesterday I took a trip to Anchorage to have soles put on the bottom of my mukluks. I also took advantage of being in town to shop at REI and I picked up a pair of windstop fleece pants and a jacket, along with heavy wool liner gloves. I also picked up some more felt insoles for my Lobbens and a good pair of arch supports for them as well. Found some rag wool socks to wear over my other wool socks. I am planning on having warm feet.

Started this morning off with Vet Checks on the dogs. The vet came to the kennel. All the dogs got a great bill of health, with the exception of Roan. She thought that maybe he was coming down with a cold. So, Roan will rest up.

Today we went to the feed store and picked up kibble, chicken skins and liver for the dogs. We stopped off at AIH and bought some tarps and bungies and work gloves. Then to 3 Bears and picked up some food and bottles of heat.

Got back to the house and I spent the afternoon in my outdoor butcher shop....chopping up and bagging meat and fish. I also bagged up treats and kibble. I will have 2 camping bags put together, along with my drop bag for May's Cabin.

I will carry straw on my sled for the camping at about the 50 mile mark, and straw will be dropped at May's Cabin as well.

This evening I froze coffee in ice cube trays and also orange juice. (in separate trays...) Tomorrow I will seal them into 1 cup servings in the food saver bags. When I am melting snow and bringing the water to a boil to cook the dogs food, I will throw my food into the water. I will then have something hot to eat and to drink. I then will pour the boiling water into a cooler that is full of meat for the dogs. I will then put the lid on it and it will sit for about a half hour. Then the meat will all be thawed out and I will add kibble and feed the dogs.

I am really quite tired and need to get to sleep so I will hopefully continue with this tomorrow...

Good night !

MENU FOR THE RACE

Well, the menu has been decided...the dogs will snack on salmon, beef, poultry skins and chicken and rice cookies. Their cooked meals will be a mixture of beef, lamb, liver and their kibble. Jan will toss her frozen meals and drinks into the cooker to heat up. I will be eating 3 cheese pasta and packs of Canadian bacon, along with frozen peanut butter and honey sandwiches. My drinks will be the ultra healthy capri suns. They work great to throw into the cooker. I have mocha ice cubes to melt and heat up. I also have quite an assortment of chocolates, nuts and fruit, and gummy bears. I will be adding throat lozenges as I am getting a sore throat...which is a bummer. I am pushing OJ, vitamin C and echinacea.

No comments:

Post a Comment