
You know you are in Alaska when you look down at your socks and you have toe warmers stuck to them...you know you are in Alaska when you look at the thermometer and you are glad it is at zero...
Well I have learned not to leave anything in my sled bag over night that I don't want frozen...and for that matter in the vehicles either...sheds a whole new outlook for iced coffee...how about frozen solid mocha? Last evening while I was nice and toasty warm and had finished all my dog chores I realized that my over mitts were still in my sled bag...well it was a "no brainer"... as much as I didn't want to venture outside, the thought of very cold mitts in the morning was enough to get me out the door and onto the top of the trailer and digging in my sled bag.
Yesterday we did as we had planned. We loaded up 24 dogs and headed to Shirley Towne. We have ropes hooked to the front of the truck and then hooked to the back of each sled. The rope has a quick release on it. When you are ready to go (and the dogs are raring to go...) you kick the quick release and away you go. I learned earlier on our first double sledding run that it is very important to double check your quick release. I had the team of 8 dogs hooked up on the gang line and was up with my leaders unhooking the snow hook and as I was almost back to the sled (with the dogs going berserk to get going), the quick release released...The team bolts and as my sled is going by I dive for the handle bar and I experience my first drag of the winter. Needless to say this is not a good time for a drag as the dogs are so full of energy. As I am screaming Whoa (with as much authority as I can muster) I turn the sled over. The team stops. Ted gets on his sled behind me and while he is on the brake he tells me to upright my sled and away we go !
There are constant lessons to learn and now I always double check my quick release. Well when we were ready to go, I took off first and went up the road and into a parking lot with my team and told them Whoa. We would wait for Ted to take off and catch us before we entered the trail...
With Ted in my sights and a hand signal for me to take off, we are off. It was great to run Shirley Towne with my own team. (And I am sure that Ted was happy to be on his own sled.) Prior to this we had only been running an 8 dog team with two sleds...I had the driving sled and Ted had the tag sled, which was attached to my sled. I have never experienced being on a tag sled...but I guess Ted had quite a ride on our first team out. Kind of like "crack the whip".
My lead dogs were Tok and T. They were great. In swing I ran Puff and Red and in wheel I ran Walt and Spot. (Interesting names, huh?) This team was awesome. They challenged the hills and needed little encouragement...mostly I was just telling them how great they were doing. We went 18 miles and my toes were frozen...hmmm and I thought Lobbens were going to be the solution to my cold toes.
When we got back to the truck we watered and snacked the dogs and I added a hand warmer to my boots. While I was getting team 2 ready my toes thawed out and actually warmed up. I had Chad and Ned in lead, Amber and Tonka in swing and Roan and Rice in wheel. Chad and Ned are great leaders but lousy Gee Haw leaders. I had a heck of a time getting them into the parking lot and actually had to set my hooks and go to the front and grab them and walk them around to the parking lot. The problem was that there were 3 vehicles parked where we normally cross the parking lot onto our run. Well, we waited for Ted and then off we went. The team did good but not nearly as strong as my first team out. I was already thinking about other leader configurations as Chad and Ned together aren't too dependable.
With the second team I had to encourage them up the hills, which they did fine. But without encouragement I think that they would have stopped. That is one thing that you don't want to have them do...it is best for you to always tell them to stop. That is where it is important to watch your dogs and stop them for a breather when necessary.
When I am on a sled, my mind goes everywhere...from being totally focused on the dogs to being caught up in the peacefulness of the sled on the the trail and hearing the feet on the snow. Watching the beauty in the team when they synchronize their running. When we were almost back to the truck we had the most beautiful sunset through the trees. I wished that I had my camera with me. Yesterday my cell phone rang when we were heading back from the second run...I dug it out of my pocket and talked with my friend Bill...needless to say it was a very quick conversation as my hand was getting cold with the temperature around zero. I dropped my phone back into my pouch on the front of my bibs (so I thought) which is under my big parka and an under jacket. Something told me "oh no"...I stepped on the brake and called out Whoa. When we stopped my phone dropped to the snow at my feet. While talking with the team saying whoa I reached down and was able to pick it up. If we had passed it that would have been the end of my phone. You never go behind your sled. When you get off your sled you set your hooks and go up in front of it. If your snow hook pulls you catch your sled as it goes by. I will be making a leash for my phone.
Well, we made it back to the truck and again watered and snacked the dogs. A great day on the runners ! Oh...I left out a tangle, a pulled hook and a dive...but that is all in a day of a dog musher !
Well I have learned not to leave anything in my sled bag over night that I don't want frozen...and for that matter in the vehicles either...sheds a whole new outlook for iced coffee...how about frozen solid mocha? Last evening while I was nice and toasty warm and had finished all my dog chores I realized that my over mitts were still in my sled bag...well it was a "no brainer"... as much as I didn't want to venture outside, the thought of very cold mitts in the morning was enough to get me out the door and onto the top of the trailer and digging in my sled bag.
Yesterday we did as we had planned. We loaded up 24 dogs and headed to Shirley Towne. We have ropes hooked to the front of the truck and then hooked to the back of each sled. The rope has a quick release on it. When you are ready to go (and the dogs are raring to go...) you kick the quick release and away you go. I learned earlier on our first double sledding run that it is very important to double check your quick release. I had the team of 8 dogs hooked up on the gang line and was up with my leaders unhooking the snow hook and as I was almost back to the sled (with the dogs going berserk to get going), the quick release released...The team bolts and as my sled is going by I dive for the handle bar and I experience my first drag of the winter. Needless to say this is not a good time for a drag as the dogs are so full of energy. As I am screaming Whoa (with as much authority as I can muster) I turn the sled over. The team stops. Ted gets on his sled behind me and while he is on the brake he tells me to upright my sled and away we go !
There are constant lessons to learn and now I always double check my quick release. Well when we were ready to go, I took off first and went up the road and into a parking lot with my team and told them Whoa. We would wait for Ted to take off and catch us before we entered the trail...
With Ted in my sights and a hand signal for me to take off, we are off. It was great to run Shirley Towne with my own team. (And I am sure that Ted was happy to be on his own sled.) Prior to this we had only been running an 8 dog team with two sleds...I had the driving sled and Ted had the tag sled, which was attached to my sled. I have never experienced being on a tag sled...but I guess Ted had quite a ride on our first team out. Kind of like "crack the whip".
My lead dogs were Tok and T. They were great. In swing I ran Puff and Red and in wheel I ran Walt and Spot. (Interesting names, huh?) This team was awesome. They challenged the hills and needed little encouragement...mostly I was just telling them how great they were doing. We went 18 miles and my toes were frozen...hmmm and I thought Lobbens were going to be the solution to my cold toes.
When we got back to the truck we watered and snacked the dogs and I added a hand warmer to my boots. While I was getting team 2 ready my toes thawed out and actually warmed up. I had Chad and Ned in lead, Amber and Tonka in swing and Roan and Rice in wheel. Chad and Ned are great leaders but lousy Gee Haw leaders. I had a heck of a time getting them into the parking lot and actually had to set my hooks and go to the front and grab them and walk them around to the parking lot. The problem was that there were 3 vehicles parked where we normally cross the parking lot onto our run. Well, we waited for Ted and then off we went. The team did good but not nearly as strong as my first team out. I was already thinking about other leader configurations as Chad and Ned together aren't too dependable.
With the second team I had to encourage them up the hills, which they did fine. But without encouragement I think that they would have stopped. That is one thing that you don't want to have them do...it is best for you to always tell them to stop. That is where it is important to watch your dogs and stop them for a breather when necessary.
When I am on a sled, my mind goes everywhere...from being totally focused on the dogs to being caught up in the peacefulness of the sled on the the trail and hearing the feet on the snow. Watching the beauty in the team when they synchronize their running. When we were almost back to the truck we had the most beautiful sunset through the trees. I wished that I had my camera with me. Yesterday my cell phone rang when we were heading back from the second run...I dug it out of my pocket and talked with my friend Bill...needless to say it was a very quick conversation as my hand was getting cold with the temperature around zero. I dropped my phone back into my pouch on the front of my bibs (so I thought) which is under my big parka and an under jacket. Something told me "oh no"...I stepped on the brake and called out Whoa. When we stopped my phone dropped to the snow at my feet. While talking with the team saying whoa I reached down and was able to pick it up. If we had passed it that would have been the end of my phone. You never go behind your sled. When you get off your sled you set your hooks and go up in front of it. If your snow hook pulls you catch your sled as it goes by. I will be making a leash for my phone.
Well, we made it back to the truck and again watered and snacked the dogs. A great day on the runners ! Oh...I left out a tangle, a pulled hook and a dive...but that is all in a day of a dog musher !
I imagine the magesty of being alone in the winter wilderness with your dogs working harmoniously must be a real thrill. The smile on your face shows someone clearly living her dream. Thanks for taking us along via your blog. - Rick
ReplyDeleteIt is so magestic...wish I could take you along on m sled to experience what I am experiencing...
ReplyDelete