Pages

Saturday, December 12, 2009

FURTHER EXPLORATION

Friday...Well, I was up at 6:15 to feed and water dogs. Then crawled back to bed under my down comforter. Tried to get another hours of sleep but instead just laid there thinking of what I would find further down the power line trail. Finally got up and had breakfast and put on my many layers. I have been wearing my new Cabelas Anorak the past couple of days and I like it but It is taking some getting used to putting stuff in new pockets. I found that I cannot easily access my bib front pocket. I missed a beautiful photo op of early morning Aspen glow. Gorgeous.

Well, I hooked up 6 dogs and put booties on them. We took off and headed through the swamp, across the road, around a lake, through the woods, around another lake, and finally to the power lines. (Over the river and through the woods...to grandmother's house we go...) Well, we travelled further on the power line trail than yesterday. Went as far as the trail was well groomed. Then I turned the team around and we headed back. We passed a large oncoming team and when our sleds passed, he was dragging a very long drag line with big knots tied into it. When we got back to the lake and were on overflow I passed one team and then the third pass was on sheer ice in a turn on the lake...the dogs passed fine, but our sleds collided in the turn...we were both ok and kept right on going. Well, we put in a 27 mile run. Got back to the house and put the dogs away. Went in and warmed up and had lunch. Changed my camera from my bib pocket to one in my jacket.

Hooked up team two and put on booties and away we went. This time I didn't go quite as far as it was getting dark. As we were in a wooded part I realized that my head lamp would have been good to have had on my head. Soon I saw headlights on the trail in front of me...the snowmachine pulled off the trail and as I passed about 12 pups ran into my team. They were all over my dogs and me. I finally was able to get going and I realized that my team had grown from 6 to about 16...with the pups running at full speed with my sled. I decided to stop (I didn't need more dogs to take home.) I waited for the snowmachine to come and gather up their pups. They were beautiful husky pups. Well headlight finally appeared and the dogs were called and away I went. All of a sudden I looked around my sled and there they all were again...I kept running a bit hoping that they would drop off... but they kept right on following. Well, I stopped again and they were all in my team and I had tangles. This was getting a bit old. We repeated it a third time and finally I was free of the energetic, adorable, but pain in the rear pups ! We continued down the trail. I made a stop and put on a head lamp...it was worthless for on the trail. Had to stop again and put on my other one...ahh...much better. We finally got back to the house. Dogs were snacked and put back to their houses. I went in to warm up and had a dinner of biscuits and gravy. Then went out and fed the dogs. Chad was excited that food was coming and decided to get on top of his house and announce my arrival. Another great day !

No comments:

Post a Comment