Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

Exploration...and home safe !


Well, yesterday I took out a team of 6 dogs and I was determined to find out what was across the road...I followed the trail there the other day and that is where I turned my team around. So...away we ventured. As we crossed the road, the trail dropped just a bit and there was a beautiful lake that I saw...of course it was frozen over and snow covered. I followed a trail around it and then we went through a little wooded area and then back out into the open then began running down along side of the rail road tracks. The trail was nice and well groomed. After a while I decided that I would turn my team around and head back. My leader, Thornton did great, which was a delight. Last year she didn't work near as well for me...so I was thrilled. She is a good little leader. We headed back home and I took a break for lunch. We ran for 18 miles.

I hooked up another team, with the determination that we would go even further. I had Marty and T in the lead. We crossed the road and followed the same trail as earlier. Then I continued on and we came onto another lake and over frozen overflow...bumpy...then the trail merged with one on the power line. That was a fun a trail as there were hills to climb, sharper turns and lots of ups and downs. The dogs did great. We ran 22 miles with the second team.

Well, this morning I got up early and watered the dogs. I am waiting for daylight and I will be taking out team 3. My plan is to further explore down the power line trail. I was told that power line goes all the way to Fairbanks. It is my hope to find a trail that I can go out for 25 miles and return 25 miles...giving us a 50 mile training route.

When I got up this morning it was - 10 degrees. Yesterday I put booties on the dogs and will do the same today. I am enjoying my GPS unit and so glad that I have it. It is neat to be able to tell how fast the dogs are travelling and how far we are going. I also know what our average running speed is for each trip out.

No comments:

Post a Comment