Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

MONDAY, DECEMBER 14TH

Got up this morning and it was so great to see it snowing. The race this weekend has been in jeopardy of cancelling due to lack of snow, however this could change things...So this is a good thing. Well I got up early and watered the dogs. Took out team one and I was determined to get in more miles, and that would mean a bit more exploring. We took off on our regular route and crossed the road and headed towards the power line trail. I decided that we would head off on a trail that I had no idea where it went. When we came out into the open, we were at a really big lake and there was a sign that said "Steven's Lake" I finally found Steven's Lake...when we made it back to the dog lot, I checked the GPS and we went 32 miles.

Had a sandwich and had 2 pieces of delicious jerky and then headed for the dog lot. It was already getting dark when I was hooking up the team so I put on my head lamp. A night run...something that I need to do to get comfortable running again at night. Well, I had a fabulous night run. The team seemed to really love running at night. We headed for Steven's Lake and when on the lake, I would shut off my head lamp and just watch the contrast of the dogs against the smooth white lake in the dim light of the moon. It was magestic...it is amazing how the dogs can see at night. They had no problem following the trail in the dark.

Team two went 25 miles. Tonight I pushed my comfort zone and was alone out there with my dogs...the great thing is that we are starting to get in the longer runs. I have been running an 8 dog team now. I hope to start running a 10 dog team soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment