I received a phone call that there was a leader that was stuck in the Spokane area. His transport fell through twice. I called my friend Judy, who lives in Spokane. I spoke with her husband and I asked if there was any remote possibility that he could pick up a dog and meet me halfway. He told me that he was retired and that he could pick up Biscotti.
So...we met in CleElum (yes, that is more than half way to Seattle) and I picked up Big Ears. At first he was pretty skittish. I put him in the front seat, riding shotgun. As I drove, I petted him and kept scratching behind his ears. After a while, he laid his head in my lap.
I wasn't too sure what I had just gotten myself into. I have been working 7 am til often 10 pm. How was I going to manage with a dog...never the less a sled dog??? Before I picked him up I stopped at Home Depot and picked up a chain. Couldn't risk having him chew. He did fabulous and just watched me work throughout the day. When it would rain, I would put him in my car. He would just curl up on my seat and I was so pleased.
Kangaroo or sled dog ???
I took Biscotti to visit my dad. He jumped right up on his bed and made himself at home. He curled up next to dad and dad was in his glory, petting Biscotti.
Dogs are good medicine...
Buddies
Prairie Elementary
I got to Kick Off Prairie Elementary's All School Idita-Read at their Friday All School Assembly. It was a wonderful opportunity and one of my favorite schools to visit. After the assembly, I did small groups with each of the grade levels and kids got to get up close with Biscotti and it was time for questions and answers.
A BIG thank you Dog Handlers, Brendan and Matthew.
They helped take care of Biscotti while I kicked off the Idita-read.
The kids were great, giving Biscotti his space
It was all they could do to stay off the dog mat. : )
I got a big kick out of the kindergarteners. When it was time for questions, the kids would tell me stories...and the teachers would have to remind them that they were to ask questions. The top two questions were..."I like your dog" and "I have a dog...." : )
Saint Matthew School
Biscotti made his second school visit...an old pro now. Afterwards we headed for the airport.








Jan, It is wonderful that you visit school kids. You can tell from the pictures that the kids really enjoy your visits. If you are ever in the Portland area I would love to have you visit my class of 4th graders. We will be following you again this year. Go Jan ! Go Team One Ear Up !
ReplyDeleteAdrianne Thompson
Dear Jan,
ReplyDeleteThe 4th graders wanted to send you some messages:
Turner: Good luck on the race and have fun!
Sophie: Thank you for coming to our school. We learned a lot!
Lauryn: Your dogs are adorable!
Steven: Can you bring your sled back to show us when you come to visit in the spring?
Aliyah: I hope you do good in the Iditarod in March!
Mateo: We are all rooting for you!
Edom: When you go back to the race, remember to believe in yourself!
Sam: Thanks for letting me try on your Iditarod clothes. They were snug.
Nell: How do you keep up with other people in the race?
Sofie: What dog is your oldest sled dog?
Maida: Which is your favorite dog?
Sam: How many dogs have you had in your whole life?
Sofia: How many dogs are running right now?
Edom: How many years have you been training for the Iditarod?
Neylen: How long does it take to train the dogs?
Lauryn: How many ears do you have around you right now? :-)
Jocelyn: How many layers do you have to wear?
Steven: Do dogs have to have a certain strength for running the Iditarod?
Angesom: Have you ever slept in the snow on the Iditarod?
Daniel: How many hours of training a day?
Nell: Did you feel nervous the first time you ran the Iditarod?
Ava: How was your first Iditarod?
Sofia: How many years have you trained the dogs?
We look forward to hearing from you, but we understand if you don't have time to answer all of our questions.
Sincerely,
4th Graders
St. Matthew School