Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

WORKING TOWARDS IDITAROD 2013

Time for an update...I have been home all summer, juggling catching up at the home front (result of being gone for 7 months), to caring for my aging father who lost his wife (my mother) of 60 years,  to working every available hour I can to raise the money for Iditarod 2013.  I am everything from Master Gardener, to house painter, to house cleaner, to medical chauffeur, to handy woman (household repairs), to house sitter. 

I am holding my breath and hoping that my roof can wait one more year before having to replace it.  I will be inspecting it this next week.  Hmmm...not thinking about it doesn't make it go away, so it is time to face the music. 

I have spent hours going through my garage that became the storage house for my parents "stuff".  I have gone through mountains of boxes full of all their business records dating back to the 60's.  Fifteen full boxes to the jaws of the shredder.  Had a garage sale planned for last week but we were rained out.   Now hoping to have the sale this next week.  Looking forward to reclaiming my garage. 

Today was spent working at the house that I am house-sitting.  Trimming the landscape, mowing the yard, repairing a garden shed...yea!  The door now works.  Repairs to a bedroom set...lol...now the guest bedroom can host guests without the mattress falling to the floor !  Highlight of the day was sipping coffee at the Edmonds Beach watching children play as the tide was out.  Reminded me of my childhood and also my children playing at the very same beach.  It is now 9:20 and I am hoping to watch a bit of the Olympics. 

My 81 year old father has had cataract surgery and it was so very successful.  I have also been taking him to physical therapy and he is now exercising 4 - 5 days a week and riding a recumbent stationary bike for 20 minutes.  We can all see the results and it is great!  He can get up from a chair so much easier. 

2 comments:

  1. You have been a busy gal. I've been following your blog and I am glad that you are living your dream.
    Sorry for the loss of your mother. Going through all the paperwork & stuff is hard.(I did that for my parents.) Enjoy the rest of your time at home and best of luck in raising the funds you need for the next Iditarod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kat, It is hard going through all that stuff. I have kept a box that I put interesting memories in...ships logs that she (my mother) wrote, letters, etc. in it. I am hoping that my brother sister and I will find some day to go through it together, reading and remembering. Funny how it was so hard to part with her jog suits. Unfortuately they were too small for me. I only hope that someone will really enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete