Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

FAIRBANKS START FOR IDITAROD

The 2015 Iditarod will start in Fairbanks for the second time in 42 years.  Memebers of the trail committee's board met Tuesday and it was a unanimous vote to move the restart.  I am relieved at the decision and after hearing that there was even less snow in the gorge than last year, I would have made my decision to not go.

This year's race will be 19 miles shorter and will travel through two new checkpoints in the interior: Huslia and Koyukuk.   

Living in Willow has always been nice for the restart, as we live just a 10 minute drive away from Willow Lake.  Now we will have to figure the logistics of starting out of Fairbanks and a new race route. 

We are so excited to be staying with Vern and Jeanette Wrede in Fairbanks.  They are welcoming the dogs, along with musher Jan, Bob, Larry, Cindy and Sandy.  Thanks so much Jeanette and Larry !



6 comments:

  1. Glad they changed it for everyone's safety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Steven, so am and and a whole lot of mushers. At least they cared enough to do the right thing. Mush safer for all. Sad for the villages, but it can't be helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prairie kids are so glad to hear that better conditions for mushers and dogs will hopefully happen with a trail rerouting! We've been busy adopting mushers and doing research. Our Iditaread starts March 9th! Letters are on their way to you from the Walk to Read class (mailed Saturday, delivered Tuesday??) - we know you are super busy now and would love to hear from you after the race! The kids especially enjoyed the picture of your metal cookie sheet and the dog magnets that you move around as you arrange your teams for practice. The food prep is impressive, too! There are several requests for your French toast recipe in the letters! :-) Cyndy Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, I love to hear from you ! A BIG Hello and I can't wait to visit you after the race. I will have time for phone calls when I am driving into Anchorage for the Musher Meeting and the Banquet. Usually a fun question and answer time.

      Delete
  4. Woo hoo Jan - this is amazing 👏👏👏 I will follow along - good luck and stay safe

    ReplyDelete