Well, I woke up this morning to about 5 or 6 inches of new snow. It was so beautiful out, kind of like a winter wonderland...so clean and fresh. I watered the dogs bright and early and then pulled out a different sled from the sled shed. It took a while to get the sled ready for a run. I had to hook the snub line to it, and connect the gang line. Next I found two snow hooks to attach to the sled, along with a drag. I pulled out the big bag of sand that was in my other sled and placed it in the new sled.
I took out the snowmachine and ran down to the creek. I decided not to groom the trails, but rather have the team break trail. It would be a good work out for them. I did run the snow machine back and forth over the berm that the snow plow left when he plowed the road.
I hooked up a 9 dog team, with Tok and Ned in the lead, Jim and Red in Swing, then Max and Newman, then Jack running single, followed by the two wheel dogs, Roan and Rice. It was so beautiful out and the dogs were running well, excited after having a day off yesterday. I love it when we set the first tracks on fresh snow. I had my ipod with me for the first time this winter and I listened to Bronn Journey...one of my favorite musicians when I am mushing. His music just fits watching the team before me, going through the trails and around the lakes.
We went out to Ramano Lake and on over to Frying Pan Lake. We saw Vern with a team, Marilyne on the snowmachine, followed by Bob double sledding with a team and then the two handlers on a snow machine. I took some pictures and videos. I am hoping that they turned out, as my camera was acting up. I am hoping it was due to low batteries. I don't want to have to replace my camera.
After the run, I put the dogs up and then I decided to take out the snowmachine and groom the other part of the swamp. I was out there about an hour and a half and came back in the dark. Team 2 will have to wait until tomorrow.
Thursday, December 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment