![]() |
| Iditarod Sign Ups and Volunteer Picnic--Sure wish I could have been there ! |
I will have to admit that there was a time on the trail that I was very sure that I would not do this again. The crashes, the body slams, the bruises. Not understanding why mushers would choose to put themselves through this over and over. However, by the time I got to Nome, I had already replaced that thought with "I want to do it again...I have to do it again." In the few short months following the finish (three to be exact), I have layed awake nights trying to figure out how I can do this again in 2013. Can I put together a dog team...can I get the finances together for another Iditarod? I am going to give it all I've got.
It was a tough decision to make, but when it was a done deal, I was so happy and relieved. Thank goodness for modern technology...faxed the neccessary paperwork just in the nick of time !
Following the Iditarod, I had the opportunity to share my dream through presentations. When I do a presentation, I can feel myself slip into my element...and I love sharing my passion. It is kind of like reliving a part of it all over.
I loved the opportunities to visit school classrooms and cater to them, an age appropriate presentation, spending the time to answer all of their questions and sharing with them all of our gear. I will never forget the expression on Jeffrey's face when he saw Bob walk through the door...his Iditarod musher that he chose to follow and now Bob was standing there in front of him live.
Again I would like to thank all of you who sponsored me...who believed in me for Iditarod 2012. I couldn't have done it without you. I would like to invite you to JOIN THE TEAM again, so we can travel the trail together in Iditarod 2013.

Jan, so glad to see you signed up again. Hopefully I can dog handle for you again. Tell Ted I retired his '84 parka. It us a piece of history and I dont want to damage it. Let me know how I can help along the way.
ReplyDeleteAmy Young
Hi Amy! Great to hear from you. You can definitely handle for me again. I will pass the word on to Ted. Did you ever get a print of Ted and his lead dog JR? If not I will send you one. Just email me your address. I am in search of sponsors big and small...any little bit adds up and helps get the dogs (and me) down the trail.
ReplyDeleteI'm excited to see you will be racing again in 2013. Your race was very inspiring. Did you ever think when you were a little girl that you would do something like that? I would love to hear one of your presentations. Do you have any coming up? Thank you,
ReplyDeleteShelly (Edmonds, WA!)
Thanks Shelly. As a small child I never dreamed of actually doing anything like run Iditarod. However, as a Jr High or High Schooler, I often dreamed of skiing in the Olympics. But it took until 2007 to have the seed planted and then to actually follow my dream beginning in 2008.
ReplyDeleteI have a presentation coming up August 16th. Send me an email and I will give you the info. jls.livingmydream@comcast.net Jan